Border Patrol Craig Revelle

Tous les communiqués en anglais
Répondre
stb

Border Patrol Craig Revelle

Message par stb »

Border Patrol – A weekly look at racing from both sides of the 1000 Islands

Craig Revelle – October 17, 2011

For the last few years that Brockville Speedway has hosted their annual Northeast Fall Nationals, they have managed to get their program in without any major weather issues. As with hosting any outdoor event in this area, especially in the fall, the weather always has the potential to play a factor in the outcome. With rain developing late Friday afternoon, and lasting through most of the day on Saturday, the Brockville Speedway had to continuously alter their racing schedule throughout the weekend.

Friday night’s plans were to kickoff the 2011 Northeast Fall Nationals with “Full Fendered Frenzy”, with a Mr. DIRTcar Pro Stock tour race, along with a special Street Stock open event. For the second year in a row, this event had to be cancelled, and with a busy weekend already scheduled, they would not be made up. The Mr. DIRTcar Pro Stock championship would go to Joey Ladouceur, who had a 28 point lead going into the final event.

I arrived at Brockville Speedway on Saturday morning around 10am, just about the same time the rain had started. Just north of the track, the blue clear skies remained off in the distance for most of the day, but at the track the rain continued, and a decision was made to cancel the events for Saturday, and set up a full day of racing on Sunday. The plans early were to run the Saturday events first thing in the morning, which consisted of a 358 Modified Mr. DIRTcar Series race, and the popular Sprint Cars. The proposed plan once that was complete was to clear the stands, and the pit area, and begin the Sunday portion of the Northeast Fall Nationals that was highlighted by the Big Block Modifieds and Sportsman Mr. DIRTcar Series events. Throughout the late afternoon and early evening, Brockville Speedway hosted a staff meeting, and some tough decisions were made. The Big Block Modifieds and Sprint Cars were no longer on the schedule for Sunday, and the 358 Modifieds, Sportsman and Vintage Modifieds would run their events to finish out the weekend, and the 2011 racing season.

With an early start scheduled for Sunday, I arrived back at the BOS around 9am, and made my rounds through the pits, talking to local teams. Racing action started just after 1pm, with time trials for both the 358 Modifieds and Sportsman. A strong field of 40 Modifieds and 49 Sportsman filled the pit area, along with 15 Vintage cars. A scary incident took place during 358 Modified time trials as Brian McDonald got sideways in the corner and started to roll in turn one, as he was flipping, he was struck by another car, causing serious damage to the roll cage of the Mike and Lori LaSalle owned car that McDonald was driving. The driver was ok, which is remarkable after seeing the damage that was done to the car.

The 100 lap 358 Modified feature started out slow with a series of cautions, and a red flag as Bobby Herrington flipped over on the frontstretch after contact with a couple other cars. Herrington walked away from the crash, but the car had extensive damage. At the checkered flag, it was Billy Decker taking the win over Danny O’Brien, Carey Terrance, Pat O’Brien and Tim O’Brien. Danny O’Brien, who began the night with fast time in time trials entered the race 30 points behind Danny Johnson in the battle for the 358 Modified Mr. DIRTcar championship. In order for him to win the championship, he had to finish seven spots ahead of Johnson. With his second place run, O’Brien trimmed 20 points off the deficit, but it wasn’t enough, as Johnson finished the race in sixth place.

In the Sportsman main event, Chris Herbison led every lap on his way to win the caution filled 50 lap Sportsman Mr. DIRTcar event. Tim Sears Jr. claimed his second consecutive Sportsman championship with his second place run, while Josh VanBrocklin, Cody MacPherson and Mike Mainse rounded out the top five.

Former Modified competitor, and local Sprint Car favorite Rick Wilson was behind the wheel of a vintage Modified at Brockville, and he took home the checkered flag in their season finale. Wilson, who only has three starts in the car has gone to victory lane all three times at three different tracks. He won at Brighton Speedway, Ohsweken Speedway, and now Brockville.

The 2011 now season has now come and gone. I do not have any more events planned this season. It has been a great year, traveling to 87 events to date. While the plans are to end the season, it is still possible to sneak in one more before the end of the month, but that will depend on a few things, like the weather.

As a race fan of all forms of motorsports, Sunday was a very sad day in the racing world, as two-time Indy 500 champion Dan Wheldon lost his life in a horrific accident at the Las Vegas Speedway. The fiery incident that involved 15 other cars took place just 13 laps into the event. Wheldon was just 33 years old, and is survived by a wife and two young children.

I hope you continue to enjoy my weekly column, as always, any comments or suggestions can be sent to [email protected]. Please feel free to check out my website, www.finishlinewebdesign.ca. You can also follow my live up to the minute racing coverage via twitter right on the main page of my website, through Facebook at www.facebook.com/crevelle or by following the link on the main page of www.dirttrackdigest.com for full coverage of racing events throughout the DIRTcar racing community. If you would like a website for your race team or small business, send me a message and I will get back to you.
Répondre