Billy Dunn Won Twice at Syracuse

Tous les communiqués en anglais
Répondre
stb

Billy Dunn Won Twice at Syracuse

Message par stb »

Billy Dunn Won Twice at Syracuse During Super DIRT Week XL; S.E.F. 200 Finish Cut Short After Mid-Race Incident
Craig Revelle – Finish Line Web Design

October 12, 2011

When Billy Dunn arrived at Syracuse this year for the start of Super DIRT Week XL, there were few that labeled him as a contender for the 40th running of the most prestigious event in DIRTcar racing. As the weekend progressed, more and more paid attention to the success of Dunn and the Number One Speed team, including fellow competitors and fans.

Right from the beginning of practice on Thursday, Dunn had a fast racecar. He posted the second fastest speed in time trials, locking himself into a front row starting spot in Sunday’s S.E.F. (Small Engine Fuels) 200.

"Last year I had to pass about 20 cars in the first 30 laps, I'd really rather not have to do that if I don't have to", Dunn said. "If I have a chance to win this race, I'd rather win it from the front. ... It would mean everything. This is what I grew up watching. It's our biggest race. It's our Daytona 500. I came here this year expecting to time trial well, and with our practice speed and when we were going out in time trials, I expected a top-six but I'm really happy with second."

If the fast qualifying run didn’t get the attention of everyone at Syracuse, perhaps the dominating win in his 20 lap qualifying heat race made people take notice that he was on the top of his game going into Super DIRT Week.

“This is a little more than I expected so far, but I knew we had it in us,” said Dunn. “This (Bicknell) car was good to start the race last year; I passed a bunch of cars but had some mechanical trouble. We set it up exactly the same and it’s been good all week. Now we’ll see what we can do in the big race. It’s a long race, but we’ve been good all week so we’re confident.”

Saturday was no exception to the rest of the week as Dunn continued to be fast in practice, and for the second time in as many nights he went to victory lane. Dunn won the Safety-Kleen 20 lap Shootout after starting fourth and taking the lead just five laps into the race.

“I’m just trying to take it all in, take it one day at a time,” Dunn said of his head-turning performance at the famed Syracuse Mile. “I’m thrilled with how we’ve run so far this week, but Sunday is still the important day so I’m trying to keep everything in perspective and concentrate on tomorrow.”

Sunday was no different as Dunn started the day out from the outside of the front row and battled within the top five through the first 50 laps of the race. Problems soon developed though, and a lengthy pit stop caused Dunn to lose a lap on pit road getting the problem resolved. 15 laps later, he was back on the lead lap, and took advantage of the yellow flag to come down pit road again to the attention of his team. Dunn continued on the lead lap and was back in contention as he worked his way through the pack. For the next 50 laps, through halfway, Dunn continued to fight his way back, but at lap 108, Dunn was caught up in a wreck, ending his day early.

The next race of the 2011 season will come this Sunday at Brockville Speedway as part of the Big Block Modified Super DIRTcar Series. From there, the team hopes to make the trip to North Carolina for the final events of 2011 at the Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway during the first week of November.

Dunn is proud to race under the banner of American Traditions Motorsports for his second full season. With the support of ATM, Pemco Contracting, Number One Speed, Fast Lube of Watertown, Frosty’s Ice Cream, SUNY Canton, Jiffy Dumpster, Finger Lakes Auto Machine, North Country Custom, R & D Fabrication and Bicknell Racing Products, 2011 will be a very exciting season for Billy Dunn.

For more information on Billy Dunn and the Number One Speed race team, please check out our website, www.billydunn49.com.
Répondre