Border Patrol Craig Revelle

Tous les communiqués en anglais
Répondre
stb

Border Patrol Craig Revelle

Message par stb »

Border Patrol – A weekly look at racing from both sides of the 1000 Islands

Craig Revelle – September 26, 2011

Another great racing weekend has now passed, ending out the month of September, bringing us into the final stretch of the 2011 racing season. I had a busy weekend scheduled with four racing events planned over a three day period. On Friday it was the start of the annual Applefest Weekend at Brighton Speedway as they hosted a Mr. DIRTcar Sportsman Series event. On Saturday it was off to Kawartha Speedway for their NASCAR Canadian Tire Series races, and then back to Brighton for their Applefest 358 Modified 50 lap feature. On Sunday afternoon was the final race of the season at Cornwall Speedway with a 125 lap Mr. DIRTcar 358 Modified/Canadian Nationals Series race.

Brighton Speedway was set to kick off their annual on Applefest Weekend on Friday night as they hosted a Mr. DIRTcar Sportsman Series race. I made the trip down with Sportsman competitor Mitch Primeau of Summerstown, Ontario. When we left Gananoque, the sun was out and we were hopeful that the forecast for late afternoon rain would be wrong. As we traveled west on the 401 towards Brighton, the sun soon gave way to clouds, and not long after we arrived at the track light rain began to fall. Track officials were forced to make the decision to cancel the night’s events.

Saturday was expected to be a full day of racing, but as we left for our destination of Kawartha Speedway for the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series season finale, the rain that fell the night before continued over night and into Saturday. With a much better forecast predicted for later in the day we continued our journey. The plan for the day was to watch the race from Kawartha, and then make it back to Brighton Speedway for their 358 Modified 50 lap feature. The 250 lap race at Kawartha started at 5pm. The purpose of going to Kawartha is to watch DIRTcar star Chris Raabe make his third start of the season in the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series. In two previous starts, he scored top ten finishes at both Barrie Speedway, and Riverside Speedway. The streak would end at Kawartha though as problems on the right rear of the car kept Raabe on pit road for several laps and taking him out of contention. DJ Kennington went on to win the race, while Scott Steckly was the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series Champion for 2011. After taking some victory lane photos for OntarioOval.com I left the track, and made the hour long drive towards Brighton Speedway.

I was keeping up to date on the racing action at Brighton from others that were at the track already, and wanted to make sure I was going to arrive in time for the 50 lap 358 Modified main event. Sure enough, as I signed into the pit area, the Modified feature was beginning to line up. Tim O’Brien took home the win over older brother Danny in a classis battle for the top spot among several drivers. Danny, who had to come from the rear of the field after a mid race incident was right on the back bumper of Tim’s car at the checkered flag. Merrittville Speedway regulars Mike Bowman and Tom Flannigan finished third and fourth respectively, while Brian McDonald rounded out the top five. The 50 lap race was very exciting to watch, with multiple cars in contention in the final 10 laps of the race.

The 2011 season finale at Cornwall was up next, and I made the trip to the track for the afternoon event. The race was originally scheduled for September 4th, and on that day time trials had already been completed before the rain canceled the rest of the show. On Sunday, racing resumed where they left off. The 358 Modifieds had a combined Mr. DIRTcar Series/Canadian Nationals Series event, the Pro Stocks had a Mohawk Racing Parts Series race, and the Sportsman, Semi Pro and Mini stocks all had a regular show. Stephane Lafrance took home the win in the 125 Lap 358 Modified feature. Carey Terrance was second, Dale Planck was third followed by Danny Bilodeau and Pat O’Brien. With the win, Lafrance claimed the Canadian Nationals Series championship. He already had won the Cornwall Speedway track championship just a few weeks earlier. Ryan Stabler picked up the biggest win of his career in the 50 lap Pro Stock race. George Renaud was second, Ghislain Valade was third with Rosco Garreau and Joey Ladouceur rounding out the top five. Shane Pecore won the Sportsman feature over 2011 track champion Chris Herbison and Jeff Phillips. Nico Leblanc was the Semi Pro winner and Ernie Cree ended his championship winning season by taking the final Mini Stock feature of the season.

This coming weekend I will be at the 26th annual Outlaw 200 at Fulton Speedway, and then it’s Super DIRT Week XL on October 5th to 9th. My plan is to attend Weedsport Speedway on Wednesday, October 5th, Rolling Wheels Raceway on Thursday, October 6th, and New York State Fairgrounds for events on Friday, October 7th through Sunday, October 9th. My 2011 racing season will end at Brockville with a MR. DIRTcar Pro Stock and Street Stock Challenge on Friday, October 14th, a Mr. DIRTcar 358 Modified and Sprint Car challenge race on Saturday, October 15th and a Big Block Modified Super DIRTcar Series and Mr. DIRTcar Sportsman race on Sunday, October 16th.

I hope you continue to enjoy my weekly column, as always, any comments or suggestions can be sent to [email protected]. Please feel free to check out my website, www.finishlinewebdesign.ca. You can also follow my live up to the minute racing coverage via twitter right on the main page of my website, through Facebook at www.facebook.com/crevelle or by following the link on the main page of www.dirttrackdigest.com for full coverage of racing events throughout the DIRTcar racing community. If you would like a website for your race team or small business, send me a message and I will get back to you.
Répondre